Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tortas, Rick Bayless Style

So Rick Bayless Mexico One Plate at a Time is one of my favorite cooking shows on PBS. Everything he makes always looks super amazing. Last night I was in a Mexican mood so I made these delicious tortas I saw him make once on the show. First you take a can of black beans (I always go for no salt added) and add them, strained, to a pot in which you've sauteed some diced garlic in olive oil. Let the beans cook until you can smash them up real good like refried beans. Scramble some eggs in a seperate pan. Slice some bolillos in half and throw them in the oven just long enough to get them nice and toasted. Spread the black beans, add the egg on top and then your choice of toppings. I did cheese, sliced avocado, salsa and spread sour cream on the top slice. Tomatos and spinach though are other nutrient rich toppings that could easily be added. Such a great,  quick meal :).

No comments:

Post a Comment